The Connection rules feature in Malwarebytes Privacy VPN for Mac controls individual applications or websites from accessing the internet when the VPN app is turned off. This ensures your connection remains secure while accessing apps or sites that contain sensitive personal information, such as online banking.
To configure Connection rules:
- Open the Malwarebytes Privacy VPN app on your Mac device.
- Click the Settings icon and then select the General tab.
- Switch on the toggle next to Connection rules.
- Malwarebytes Privacy needs full disk access to secure your connection. In the pop-up window that appears, click Open Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, click the Full Disk Access tab in the left-hand column.
- Click the lock icon at the bottom-left corner of the window to make changes.
- You are prompted to enter your login Password to allow changes to your device. Click Unlock.
- Check the box labeled Malwarebytes Privacy and close the Preferences window.
- In the Malwarebytes Privacy app, click Next through the prompts, then Done to close the pop-up window.
- Click on the arrow under the Connection Rules toggle.
- Click Add item in the Connection rules window. To set connection rules for an IP address or an application:
- Select IP address. Type the IP address in the field provided and click OK.
- Select Application. Click Browse for application or select from the list of running applications displayed and click Open.
Note: Malwarebytes Privacy uses a network filter to block connections, and the component that does the filtering needs Full Disk Access according to Apple® requirements. Malwarebytes Privacy will not look at your files.