You may encounter the following popup message after performing a scan:
We have quarantined the same item multiple times.
When using Google Chrome browser, you may notice recurring detections in Malwarebytes for Windows. Malwarebytes is successfully removing the detected items, but Google is syncing the items back to your device. This is Chrome Sync behavior, not a Malwarebytes product issue.
When Chrome Sync is turned on, Chrome browser settings, including any unwanted extensions or search hooks, are stored on the Chrome Server. Data stored on the server synchronizes with your devices, causing the re-infection.
To prevent the same threats from coming back on your device, you must reset Chrome Sync.
- Turn Chrome Sync off. See the following Google support article: Turn sync on and off in Chrome.
- Sign into https://chrome.google.com/sync.
- Scroll down and click RESET SYNC.
- After performing the sync reset, return to Malwarebytes and close the Additional action required popup message to resume the quarantine process.
- After the quarantine process, turn Chrome Sync back on. Refer to the steps in Google's support article: Turn sync on and off in Chrome.
For more information, see our forum topic, Chrome Secure Preferences detection always returns.