On the Settings section of Malwarebytes Privacy VPN, you can update the app, check your subscription expiration date and make configurations. To view Settings, click the cog icon at the top-right of the application.
The following settings are displayed in Malwarebytes Privacy for Windows.
- Auto launch: determines if Malwarebytes Privacy application automatically opens when you turn on your Windows device. To have the application automatically connect to a privacy server, toggle Auto connect ON. By default, the Auto launch toggle is switched ON.
Auto connect: lets you choose when you want Malwarebytes Privacy to connect automatically. The two options are switched off by default.
- When app is launched: Switch on this toggle if you want Malwarebytes Privacy to connect automatically to a server when connected on a trusted network.
- When connecting to untrusted networks: Switch on this toggle to auto-connect Malwarebytes Privacy when you join a public or untrusted network.
- Dark mode: lets you choose between light or dark themes for Malwarebytes Privacy. By default, this toggle is OFF. Click this toggle OFF if you prefer Malwarebytes Privacy to display with dark text over a light background. Click this toggle ON if you prefer Malwarebytes Privacy to display with light text over a dark background.
- Language: By default, the language is set to the one you chose during the installation. To change, click the drop-down arrow to choose a language.
- Trust local devices: determines if other devices on your home network can share data directly with your Windows device, such as a home printer. If you use a mobile or laptop device, we recommend you turn this toggle OFF. If you are using a desktop device on your trusted home network, you can leave this toggle ON. By default, this toggle is ON.
- Connection mode: allows you to tunnel your connection through two servers, instead of one. This adds an additional layer of privacy to your online activity, but may slow connection speed. To configure this setting, see Connection mode in Malwarebytes Privacy for Windows.
- Alternate DNS: protects you from data leaks and data logging from third-party servers. Choosing a different Domain Name System (DNS) means that you will not use Malwarebytes Privacy's DNS server. We do not recommend setting an alternate DNS server unless you know and trust the new IP address. Click Edit to enter an alternate DNS server.
- Connection rules: controls which items require the VPN to be on to access them or which items are routed around the VPN when it's on. To configure this setting, see Connection rules in Malwarebytes Privacy for Windows.
- Kill switch: If you lose your Malwarebytes Privacy connection, the Kill switch stops internet traffic from entering and leaving your device. With the kill switch on, you cannot connect to the Internet unless Malwarebytes Privacy is connected. Malwarebytes Privacy automatically turns on the Auto launch and Auto connect in your Settings. By default, this toggle is disabled. When enabled, Malwarebytes Privacy locks your information from being exposed.
- Tunnel driver: By default, Malwarebytes Privacy uses the Malwarebytes MBtun driver to connect to VPN. To use a Windows tunnel driver, you can select the WireguardNT driver from the dropdown menu. The WireguardNT driver does not support the VPN Bypass feature.
- Product Information: shows your Malwarebytes Privacy software version. Below, a blue Check for updates button displays. Click this button to update to the latest app version. An orange dot on the cog icon also indicates when an update is available. Click it to go to the Settings where you can update Malwarebytes Privacy.
- Subscription: shows the expiration date for your Malwarebytes Privacy subscription.
- Activate a new device: Click this option to install Malwarebytes Privacy on other Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android devices using a QR code or download link.
- View product information and support: takes you to the Malwarebytes Privacy guide in your web browser.