Before starting, review the items below to ensure a successful installation of Malwarebytes for Windows. For more information, see System requirements for Malwarebytes for Windows.
- An active internet connection is required.
- Temporarily disable the following to install:
- Third-party anti-virus software
- Firewall. For more information, see Firewall Rules for Malwarebytes on Windows devices.
- To install, you must allow ark.mwbsys.com on port 443.
- VPN or proxy settings
- If you cannot disable any of the above, download and run the Malwarebytes for Windows version 4 offline installer.
- Run the installer locally on your device and not from a network drive.
- Reboot the system immediately when the installer requests a restart. The installer should launch automatically. Do not attempt to start Malwarebytes manually.
- If you are upgrading, install in the same location as the previous version. Most users install in the default location, C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes.
- To install in a different location, you must first uninstall Malwarebytes. For more information, see Uninstall Malwarebytes for Windows.
- If you are running Windows 10 S mode, you will need to disable it. S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance. It only allows installation of apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store.
- To verify the Windows version you are running, see Which version of Windows operating system am I running?
- To disable S mode, see Windows 10 in S mode FAQ.
Return to Malwarebytes for Windows guide.