Malwarebytes for Windows displays an Upgrade Available notification, even after an upgrade has already taken place. Restarting or upgrading Malwarebytes for Windows does not prevent the Upgrade Available notification from reappearing.
Upgrade notifications appear if the instlrupdate folder, located at C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService, is present on the computer. If the instlrupdate folder is not deleted post-upgrade, this causes the Upgrade Available notification to reappear. The instlrupdate folder should delete itself when an upgrade is finished.
To stop Upgrade Available notifications from reappearing:
- Turn off self-protection (Premium only)
Self-protection prevents programs from modifying Malwarebytes for Windows Premium
- Delete the instlrupdate folder
Turn self-protection on or off
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows
- Click Settings > Protection.
- Scroll down to Startup Options, then find the feature Enable self-protection module.
- Click the toggle to turn self-protection on or off.
- When the User Account Control window appears, click Yes.
Delete the instlrupdate folder
- Using your keyboard, press the Windows + R keys.
- Type explorer, then click OK.
- Type the following file path: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService.
- Press Enter.
- Right-click the instlrupdate folder.
- Click Delete.
- If self-protection was turned off, turn on self-protection.
Malwarebytes for Windows stops displaying Upgrade Available notifications once the instlrupdate folder is deleted. To hide all future upgrade notifications, see the article Turn off upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows.