When you try to scan an individual file or folder on a Windows computer, the Scan with Malwarebytes option may not be available in the right-click pop-up menu. This issue can occur if you manually install Malwarebytes on your Windows computer when it's already installed or if you consent to updating Malwarebytes through the in-app upgrade notification.
The following steps show you how to verify you have the option to scan by right clicking a file or folder.
Verify Explorer settings for Malwarebytes for Windows v4
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click Settings ( ) in the top right part of the app.
- In the General tab, scroll down to Windows Explorer settings.
Note: The next step requires restarting your computer. Save your other work before you continue.
- Click the toggle to On.
- Restart your computer. Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 users must use the Restart option, not the Shut down option.
- Once your computer restarts, right-click any file or folder.
- Check if the the context menu shows Scan with Malwarebytes.
- Click Scan with Malwarebytes to run a Custom Scan and confirm the issue is resolved.
- When the Custom Scan is finished, Malwarebytes for Windows notifies you if any threats were found.
Malwarebytes should now function normally on your Windows computer.