If Malwarebytes is installed on a device running Windows 7 or higher operating system and Ransomware Protection displays as unavailable, Malwarebytes may be set to run in Compatibility mode. See the image below for an example of this issue.
If Malwarebytes is installed on a device running Windows XP and Vista operating systems, refer to Ransomware Protection unavailable on Windows XP or Vista for more information.
This article guides you through how to check if Malwarebytes is set to run in Compatibility Mode for an older version of Windows.
Un-check Compatibility mode
- Right-click the Malwarebytes icon on your desktop and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, click the Compatibility tab.
- Un-check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Click OK.
- Confirm the changes have been applied. Quit and re-open Malwarebytes.
Click the up arrow at the bottom-right corner of your desktop to reveal hidden icons.
- Right-click on the Malwarebytes icon and select Quit Malwarebytes. This fully closes the program.
Ransomware Protection may show as On in the context menu, but a reboot of Malwarebytes is needed to ensure the issue is fixed on the Dashboard.
- Double-click the Malwarebytes icon on your desktop to open Malwarebytes.
- The Dashboard shows Ransomware Protection is on.