To use Malwarebytes for Mac on your Mac running macOS or OS X, download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Mac. This article guides you through the Malwarebytes for Mac version 4 installation process. These steps also apply to re-installation, or how to reclaim the application in case of an accidental uninstall.
Download and Install Malwarebytes
- Download the latest version of Malwarebytes for Mac.
- Locate the downloaded file Malwarebytes-Mac-4.x.y.zzz.pkg.
4.x.y.zzz represents the version number.
In most cases, downloaded files are saved in the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the file Malwarebytes-Mac-4.x.y.zzz.pkg to start the setup wizard.
Malwarebytes is an identified Apple developer. However, if your macOS settings only allow apps from the App Store to be opened, you may receive a security warning dialog. Refer to Apple's article MacOS Sierra: Open an app from an unidentified developer for more information.
- The next screen shows the improvements and features available in this version of Malwarebytes for Mac. Click Continue.
- Read the Malwarebytes Software License Agreement, then click Continue.
- To confirm you agree to the Software License Agreement, click Agree.
- The next screen shows the install location and file size. Click Continue.
- Click Install.
- Enter your Mac User Name and Password, then click Install Software.
- After Malwarebytes for Mac has finished installing, click Close to exit the setup wizard.
- Malwarebytes first opens with a welcome screen. Click Get started to continue.
A screen asks what kind of computer you are installing Malwarebytes on. This choice determines the kinds of Malwarebytes product notifications you will receive periodically. Select either Personal Computer or Work Computer, then click Continue. See bullets below for a description of each option.
- Personal Computer: is a device owned by you or your family for home and personal use.
- Work Computer: is a device owned by your company or place of employment. This option is intended for Malwarebytes for Teams customers or Macs used primarily in a work or business environment.
- The following screen allows you to choose one of the following:
- Use Malwarebytes Free: Click this button if you want to use the Malwarebytes Free edition. Certain features are unavailable in the Free edition, such as Scheduled Scans and Real-Time Protection.
- Purchase Premium: Click this button to view purchase options for a Malwarebytes Premium subscription.
- Claim free 14-day trial: This button only appears if it is your first time installing Malwarebytes on your machine. Click this button to unlock Malwarebytes Premium features for 14 days.
- Activate license: Click this button if you already have a license key. A new screen will appear so you can input the key and enable Malwarebytes Premium.
- If you choose to use the Malwarebytes Free edition, the following screen displays so you may input an email to recieve product and marketing emails. You can manage your communication preferences in your Malwarebytes Account. Then click Open Malwarebytes Free.
- If you choose to claim a free 14-day trial, the following screen prompts you to enter an email to receive product and marketing emails. Click Start Trial to begin your 14-day Trial or click No thanks, I just want to scan to continue with Malwarebytes Free edition.
- The following screen asks you to give Malwarebytes permission to enable Real-Time Protection on your Mac. Click Allow.
- The next screen displays instructions for enabling Real-Time Protection on your Mac. Click the blue Security & Privacy Settings button.
- Your Mac's Security & Privacy settings open. Click the lock icon ( ) in the lower left corner and enter your Mac password to allow system changes.
- Click the Allow button to enable Real-Time Protection.
- If you are using minimum macOS Catalina and have not yet given full disk access to Malwarebytes, the setup wizard instructs you how to grant this permission. This is to allow Malwarebytes to scan your mac for infections. For detailed instructions, see Give Full Disk Access for Malwarebytes on Mac.
Malwarebytes is now fully installed and displays the main program Dashboard. Below is an example of the Dashboard for a Malwarebytes Premium user.
If you purchased a Premium subscription, Activate Premium subscription in Malwarebytes for Mac v4 to access features such as Real-Time Protection and Scheduled Scans.
Return to the Malwarebytes for Mac guide v4