Download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Mac to start removing threats from your Mac device. This article guides you through the installation process.
- Download the latest version of Malwarebytes for Mac.
Note: If you are running OS X El Capitan 10.11, download this version of Malwarebytes for Mac.
- Double-click the file Malwarebytes-Mac-4.x.y.zzz.pkg to start the setup wizard. In most cases, downloaded files are saved in the Downloads folder.
Note: If you receive a security warning dialog, refer to Apple's article Open an app from an unidentified developer.
- In the Install Malwarebytes for Mac pop-up window, click Continue.
- Read the improvements and issues fixed in the latest version of Malwarebytes and click Continue.
- Read the Malwarebytes Software License Agreement and click Continue.
- Confirm you agree to the Software License Agreement, click Agree.
- Confirm the installation Destination and Type, click Install.
- In the pop-up window, enter your Mac User Name and Password and click Install Software.
Note: On macOS Ventura 13, click OK when prompted to allow access to your Downloads folder.
- After Malwarebytes for Mac has finished installing, click Close to exit the setup wizard. Select Keep or Move to Bin.
- When Malwarebytes initially opens, you see a welcome screen. Click Get started to continue.
Choose one of the provided options:
- Personal Computer: a device owned by you or your family for home and personal use.
- Work Computer: a device owned by your company or place of employment, like Malwarebytes for Teams customers.
- Next, the Premium screen allows you to choose one of the following:
- Buy Now: Click this button to view purchase options for a Malwarebytes subscription.
- Activate license: Click this button if you already have a subscription. A new screen will appear where you can sign in to My Account or enter a license key to enable your Malwarebytes subscription. For activation instructions, see Activate your subscription in Malwarebytes for Mac.
- Maybe later: Click this button if you want to use the Malwarebytes Free edition. Certain features are unavailable in the Free edition, such as Scheduled Scans and Real-Time Protection.
If a Trial is available, a screen appears with the option to start a 14-day Trial. Input your email to receive product and marketing emails, you can manage your communication preferences in your Malwarebytes Account. Click Get started to start a Trial.
- After a subscription is activated or a Trial is started, Malwarebytes for Mac requires permissions to enable Real-Time Protection:
- On macOS Catalina 10.15 to Ventura 13, you must give full disk access to Malwarebytes to enable Real-Time Protection and allow Malwarebytes to scan your Mac for threats. For detailed instructions, see Give Full Disk Access for Malwarebytes on Mac.
- On older devices running macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, during the installation process, you're required to give Malwarebytes permission to enable Real-Time Protection on your Mac.
- After the Premium screen option is selected, you are prompted to give Malwarebytes permission to enable Real-Time Protection on your Mac. Click Allow.
- In the System Extension Blocked pop-up window, click Open Security Preferences.
- Click the Allow button to enable Real-Time Protection.
Malwarebytes for Mac is now installed on your computer.
Return to the Malwarebytes for Mac guide