In certain scenarios, the Malwarebytes Portable Scanner in the Malwarebytes Toolset may present the following message:
- Restart Required - Please restart the computer to finish the malware removal process.
This occurs when the Malwarebytes Toolset has detected an existing Scheduled Task to perform a post-reboot malware removal. This can happen if any of the following occur:
- A previous malware scan found threats that required a reboot to remove, but the device has not been rebooted yet.
- A previous Scheduled Task to launch the post-reboot malware removal was not executed because the path to the Toolset changed on reboot.
- A previous Scheduled Task to launch the post-reboot malware removal was blocked from being removed by another application.
- The post-reboot malware removal process was stopped by the user or another application.
- The post-reboot malware removal process failed to remove the Scheduled Task.
To resolve this issue, we recommend rebooting the device with the Malwarebytes Toolset in the same location it was ran from and allow the post-reboot removal process to complete.
If the error continues to appear after rebooting the device, you can manually remove the Scheduled Task by performing the following:
- Open Task Scheduler as Administrator.
- Click on the Task Scheduler Library.
- Select the scheduled task for post-reboot removal. The task will be named with a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) and the Actions tab of the Task will list an action that starts the Toolset like the following:
- Right-click the task and select Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm the removal of the post-reboot removal task.