Malwarebytes Privacy for Android™ is a VPN service that encrypts your connection so your data stays safe while you browse the Internet. Learn how to download and activate the app, connect to a private server, and manage your settings in this guide.
- Android 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Install and activate
If you purchased a subscription for multiple devices, find instructions on how to install and activate on different devices here: Install & activate Malwarebytes personal products.
Follow the steps below to download and set up Malwarebytes Privacy on your Android device:
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Android device and search for Malwarebytes Privacy.
- Tap INSTALL. Once the download completes, tap OPEN.
- Tap one of the following options to activate your Malwarebytes Privacy subscription:
- See pricing: Select the plan of your choice, tap Buy now to start a 7-day free trial, then tap Subscribe to confirm. Once the trial expires, your Google account is charged the price of the chosen plan.
Already have a subscription: Select this option if you've already purchased a subscription through Malwarebytes webstore or Google Play Store and proceed with one of the options below:
- Sign In - If you created an account profile after purchasing the subscription, then enter your existing login credentials and tap Sign in.
- Enter license key - Tap I have a license key and enter the license key if you purchased the subscription through Malwarebytes webstore and tap Activate. For help finding your license key, see Find my Malwarebytes license key.
- Restore Google Play purchase - Select this option if you've previously purchased Malwarebytes Privacy through Google Play Store.
- Malwarebytes Privacy requests your permission to save files to your device. Privacy will never view or access your personal files and information. Tap ALLOW ACCESS.
Once you are signed in, the Malwarebytes Privacy Dashboard displays.
Connect to a VPN server
To connect to the VPN:
- On the Malwarebytes Privacy Dashboard, tap the VPN server location option.
- A list of all available server locations by country displays. Select your city to funnel your connection through that server location. By default, the nearest server to your current location will be auto-selected.
- Tap the toggle to enable or disable VPN.
Tap Help to find helpful resources for your Privacy app and build version.
From the bottom right corner, tap Settings to manage your subscription and the app. Options described below vary depending on whether you activated Malwarebytes Privacy with a Google Play subscription or license key:
- Subscription: This section displays your Malwarebytes Privacy subscription status, such as the expiration or renewal date. If you've purchased the subscription through Google Play Store, you can tap Manage subscription to update your primary payment method, set up a backup payment method, or cancel/restore your subscription.
- Malwarebytes account: If you have an existing account with Malwarebytes, tap Sign in, to sign into your account. If you don't have an account set up, tap Create an account. Learn more about how to create an account.
- License key: This section displays your subscription's license key. Tap Copy to copy the key to your clipboard. If you have a multi device subscription, use this key to activate Malwarebytes Privacy on your other devices.
- Auto connect VPN: This provides you the option to enable Always-On VPN in your device settings. For more information, see Auto Connect Malwarebytes Privacy VPN for Android.
- Enable diagnostic mode: A Malwarebytes Support agent may request you to switch this toggle on to help troubleshoot a technical issue. Once enabled, the agent may ask you to tap Export diagnostic data to email the data to them for investigation. Leave this toggle off unless an agent directs you to enable. For more information, see Collect diagnostic data in Malwarebytes Privacy for Android devices.
- Deactivate this device: Tap this button and then tap DEACTIVATE to deactivate Malwarebytes Privacy VPN from the device. You can then activate the subscription on another device.