The Connection rules in Malwarebytes Privacy allow you to add items to the Require VPN or Bypass VPN list. This article describes the functionality and how to add or delete items for both of these lists.
When items are added to the Require VPN list, Malwarebytes Privacy blocks internet connection to the application IP address, or port unless the VPN is turned on. This ensures your connection remains secure while accessing apps or sites that contain sensitive personal information, such as online banking.
When items are added to the Bypass VPN list, Malwarebytes Privacy routes items around the VPN while you access the application or IP address. This allows access to apps or sites that block VPNs, such as streaming services with region locked content.
To start adding items, follow these steps:
- Open Malwarebytes Privacy.
- In the upper-right corner, click Settings .
- In Settings, click the Network tab.
- Click Connection rules. If you've added items to your connection rules before, the amount of added items display.
- Choose one of the following tabs:
- Require VPN: When Malwarebytes Privacy is off, items in this list are blocked from accessing the Internet. When Kill Switch is on, all sites require connection to the VPN including the ones in the Require list.
- Bypass VPN: When Malwarebytes Privacy is on, items in this list are excluded using the VPN.
- Click Add item.
- In the Select item type to add pop-up window, choose one of the following:
- Application: A dialog displays with a list of applications from your device. Select an application and click Open. To view the file path of added applications, hover your cursor over the item.
- IP address: The Add IP dialog displays. Enter the IP address of the website or service and click OK. Some websites and services may have multiple IP addresses which must be added individually.
- Port: The Add port dialog displays. Enter a port number and click OK. The port number must be between 1 and 65535. This option blocks or allows traffic using IPv4 addresses only.
- The item appears in the Connection rules list. To delete an item, click Delete .
Return to the Malwarebytes Privacy guide.