If you try to scan an individual file or folder on a Windows computer, you may notice the Scan with Malwarebytes option is gone from the right-click pop-up menu, also known as the context menu. This is an issue that sometimes occurs if you manually install Malwarebytes on your Windows computer when its already installed, or if you consent to updating Malwarebytes through in the in-app upgrade notification. Follow the steps below to fix this issue.
Verify Windows Context Menu and Restart computer
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Application tab, then scroll down to Windows Context Menus.
- View the Show Malwarebytes options in Windows Explorer setting.
- Click the slider to the On position.
- Restart your computer. Be sure to save your work before closing any programs.
Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 users must use the Restart option, not the Shut down option.
- Once your computer restarts, right-click any file or folder.
- Check to see if the the context menu shows Scan with Malwarebytes.
- Click Scan with Malwarebytes to run a Custom Scan and confirm the issue is resolved.
- When the Custom Scan is finished, Malwarebytes for Windows notifies you if any threats were found.
Malwarebytes should now function normally again on your Windows computer.
If you still experience this issue, submit a Support ticket with us and one of our knowledgeable support agents will reach out to you via email to provide assistance.